While Vari-Dot is the only truly original notebook ruling that I have developed to date, I have put together some other rulings available for download and personal use.
Here they are:
- Vari-Dot v2.0 [US Letter] [A4]
- Dot Grid 6mm [US Letter] [A4]
- Grid 6mm [US Letter] [A4]
- Extra Grid 6mm [US Letter]
- Guitar Chord/Tab with Lyrics v1.0 [US Letter] [A4]
- Guitar Chord/Tab with Lyrics v2.0 [US Letter] [A4]
- Guitar Tab with Lyrics [US Letter] [A4]
- Lined 6mm [US Letter] [A4]
- Seyès [US Letter] [A4]
- Seyès Extra Light [US Letter] [A4]
Why Download Notebook Rulings?
Basic lined paper doesn’t cost so much, but if you’ve ever had to shop for graph paper or other specialty paper, you know it can get expensive quickly. These PDFs allow you to try a new ruling by printing just a few sheets at home. If you use a economical inkjet printer, you may well be able to print these notebook rulings more affordably than you can buy them. I accomplish this by using refillable ink cartridges.
Extra Special Notebook Rulings
- Vari-Dot: The only ruling of my own design, I’ve already written about it at some length here. The original goal was for design work, but it can be used for regular old writing and for anything for which regular grid paper can be used.
- Guitar Tab/Chord: For guitar players trying to write or learn a song. Version 1 has space for a line a lyrics under the guitar tab. Version 2 has space for two lines of lyrics under each set of guitar tab. Both have empty chord diagrams up at the top and a line for the song name. The Guitar Tab without chords has a dashed line between the guitar tab sections also for lyrics. All versions are (hopefully) in a gray dark enough to see, but light enough that pencil on top of it shows clearly.
- Seyès: The notebook ruling unique to France, named for the Parisian librarian who invented it. I prefer the Extra Light version. Both feature a red margin for good measure.
As time permits some rulings may become available in larger or different sizes. I’ve already considered notebook rulings for practicing kanji and Russian cursive. Currently all the rulings have the Neat & Keen logo and website address in small print on the bottom of the page. In the future I may have premium “unbranded” versions available for a small fee. I’ve also flirted with the idea of customized stationery and letterhead in both a digital and physical format.